News: 2010 Press Release
For Release: December 7, 2010
Media Calls Only: 916-492-3566
Insurance Commissioner Poizner Issues Report Highlighting Four Years Of Outstanding Consumer Advocacy
Insurance Commissioner Poizner today issued a report card highlighting the progress of the Department of Insurance over the past four years, including his successful efforts to maintain solvency and stability in the insurance market amidst the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression.
"It has been hard work and an immense pleasure to fight for consumers throughout the last four years," said Commissioner Poizner. "I worked to transform CDI into the most efficient, effective and best-run consumer protection agency in the country, and I am proud to call the Golden State the gold standard for consumer protection."
In creating the report, Commissioner Poizner had two primary goals in mind. First, to be accountable to the public for his time in office by providing, in detail, an overview of his and CDI's priorities, the challenges encountered and achievements during his term. Second, Commissioner Poizner aimed to provide a reference guide for future Insurance Commissioners to examine the way issues were confronted during Poizner's term.
The report outlines many of the major accomplishments achieved under Poizner's leadership, including:
· Achieved a permanent 13 percent reduction in the operating budget of the department totaling $17 million in savings and efficiencies
· With the Commissioner’s reduction of fees on agents, brokers and insurers, a total of $20 million was sent back into the marketplace for the first time ever
· Created a near-paperless workplace by infusing technology into this state agency
· Oversaw nearly 2,800 insurance fraud-related arrests in the first three years, more than any previous insurance commissioner in any three year span
· Conducted first-ever terror finance probe by an insurance commissioner in the United States, resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars diverted from Iran
· Established first-ever PPO health insurance report card in the United States
· Paved the way for California drivers to purchase pay-as-you-drive auto insurance for the first time
· Established first-of-its-kind title sales licensing system to successfully eliminate illegal kickbacks to realtors
· Developed first-in-the-nation rescission regulations to stop health insurers from canceling health insurance after claims have been made
· Initiated largest-ever enforcement action in the United States against the largest health insurer in the country for hundreds of thousands of alleged claims handling violations.
Click her to view the Visionary Leadership: Innovative Results Report in its entirety.
Please visit the Department of Insurance Web site at www.insurance.ca.gov. Non media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800.927.HELP. Callers from out of state, please dial 213.897.8921. Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDD), please dial 800.482.4833.
If you are a member of the public wishing information, please visit our Consumer Services.